Sunday, February 17, 2008

Facing Face

My comment is in reference to the case study in chapter 11, entitled “Facing Face”.
I found this situation very thought provoking. In my life, when I have had to deliver bad news I have always attempted to provide a sliver lining even if it is not completely true. A lie is a lie no matter how you look at it, but there is difference when the lie can potentially hurt someone else. My morals dictate that I should always try to consider the other person’s feelings but at the same time not to lie to intentionaly hurt. In this case study, I would agree with Ingrid’s suggestion to allow the employee to save face. The application of Cultural Relativism in this situation, however, creates a dilemma. Should Ingrid go against her own moral codes of truth in order to satisfy another’s moral codes?

Personally, based upon the fact that Ingrid and the other supervisors are guests in this country, they should modify their moral codes slightly to appease the morals of the employee’s country. And besides, it is not like Frank has never lied in his business life.

I personally believe there is no objective truth in morality. Although a complete following of Cultural Relativism allows for abuses of human life, I believe that the overall teaching of tolerance should be followed. Cultures develop their moral codes through many years of trials and tribulations that allow them to come to create a set of values. These values maybe not be understood but at the very least should be accepted.

Revolutions of change are necessary to alter a culture’s moral codes to break the mistakes of the past. For example, South Africa’s tradition of the apartheid was ended with the guidance of Nelson Mandela. This revolution was necessary to evoke change in this country to allow for more equality amongst their citizens.

Overall, I think that Culutral Relativism is a belief that should be considered carfeully when examining other cultures.

No comments: