Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Marketers Say They Pay for Play in News Media

Every marketing executive wants to advertise their products via various ways such as magazine, newspaper, TV and so on, but not all method is correct or I should say that some methods will lead to ethical issues. I think it is difficult to define what kind of methods of broadcasting will meet the moral standard because I don’t think there is an exact answer for that. At least I don’t know the answer.

Sometimes we could see a particular branded product appear on the movies, TV or other media and the name of brand is clear to see or hear. The reason is the marketing executives pay for advertising, a commercial exchange, and it should be okay with anyone. However, the similar commercial exchange in different situations will be judged reversely. For example, the government wants to build a bridge and there are ten companies suitable for competing with this contract. Finally, one of them got this contract because he paid a lot of money for someone who is in charge this case. At this point, I will stand for this commercial exchange is unmoral for sue. Nevertheless, if I am the boss of one of ten companies and my company will be bankruptcy without this contract, whether or not I should use money to exchange for the contract. If I know other nine companies all sent money to someone in charge under the table, whether I should do the same way or even more to ensure that I can get the contract. At this point, I am really not sure how I will do. If you are the boss, would you use the money to exchange for the contract?

Reference: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/26/business/media/26message.html?_r=1&scp=8&sq=Ethical+issue&st=nyt&oref=login

No comments: