Saturday, April 5, 2008

An consequence of global profit and compeition

Last August, Mattel recalled 19 millions toys made in China because of lead paint and tiny magnets that could be swallowed. It was not a new event, the reason I bring it up is that I want to use it as the topic of my final project as an extensive discussion of global profit and global headache.
Having been in the manufacturing industry in Asia for years, honestly, I was not very surprised when I heard that news. Of course I blamed for these china manufactures who illegally use lead paint in toy productions; their actions was ethically not acceptable and have harmed the reputation of Asia manufacturing. But in the other hand, I also felt a little bid sympathy for these manufactures and thought it was another sad consequence of global profit and competition.

We understand that the biggest responsibility for a company is to maximize it profit. Therefore, it is understandable when Walmart tried to squeeze the profit of Mattel to maximize the profits of selling Mattel toys. Again it is also understandable when Mattel squeezes the profit from its China suppliers. However, we all understand it is not acceptable that some China suppliers used lead paint in the production, no matter they were in the know on the lead paint or not. (The un-lead paint cost 30% more than lead one.) They were unethical for sure. But is it ethical to ask them take the whole responsibility? China manufactures are in the sector which make less profit in the value chain, compare to Walmart and Mattel. Like Walmark and Mattel, these China manufactures just try to make more money. If they have other choices to ethically squeeze others' profits and make their own, just like Walmart and Mattel did, they probably wouldn't use any unethical method.

Is this kind of ethical issue just a matter of options? No one want to be the bad person, but one might don't have too much choices. So I can't help to wonder, do I have the right to judge others when I am not in their shoes? If not, how can I take an actively role to change something?

No comments: