Friday, April 11, 2008

Is it ethical to issue such advertisment?

Friday, I received my first US credit card bill. I was happy to find that except for the cash reward credit card company promised, there is also a "Thank-You Reward". The Thank-You reward is a separated notice from my bill but was put in the same envelope. It said that I have been issued a special opportunity as a Thank-You, and tell me that I could enjoy a saving of up to a certain amount of money. On the back of the notice, there are 9 different products for me to select. At the first, I thought it was another promotion from credit card company to "Thanks" its customers for applying its credit card and therefore provide free gifts to us. I was happy at the first time and ready to select my favorite item and send my information to the address on the notice. However, just before I enclosed my reply, I found a sentence in the bottom of the notice printed with small fonts that said ".....for each charged to your account." Wow, turn out it is not a reward but a pure advertisement. Once you select the product on the notice, they will charge the price to your credit card.
It was really a lesson to me, I should not believe any "unexpected reward". However, is it ethical for companies to use such vague description like "reward" on their advertisement which came along with some real reward (like credit card). Should companies avoid these kind of false implications, if they are not doing on purpose?

No comments: