Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Yahoo unethical? or China government unethical?

Is it ethical for yahoo to reveal user information to China government? Yesterday I had a different thought. If I divide the question into two part, I found myself have different answer. First, it is ethical for yahoo to reveal user information in any condition? Second, it is ethical for china government to limit the freedom of speech and to punish people violate it?
Before I thought yahoo is unethical because it didn't well protect users' privacy and right; However,when I looked at these two question, I wondered if I against yahoo purely for its betrayal or because its action support something unethical?
If yahoo reveal the user information is for something really great and moral. Will it still be unethical? For example, if today US police asked yahoo to reveal user information in order to catch a very very very dangerous criminal. Will its be ethical now for yahoo to do the same thing? My answer will be yes.

No comments: