Sunday, May 4, 2008

I read the second article Dr. Silver sent, called "Confessions of a Sweatshop Inspector". I thought the insight provided by the author was very interesting and brought a different perspective to the sweatshop discussion. As the author explained the details of his job and how he would have to deal with interviewing employees of sweatshops who would just provide streams of lies regarding working conditions, and how he would find numerous labor violations, I tried to put myself in his shoes. After seeing so many instances of terrible worker treatment and conditions over and over again, I feel like I would lose faith in corporations, altogether, and believe that “ethical sourcing” is just a myth and a fancy tagline.

I thought that the author closed with good points regarding how monitoring and enforcement of labor standards of foreign countries are two things that must be focused upon now, in our era of globalization. In the past, it may have been possible to overlook certain labor violations in those oh-so-faraway countries, but in our increasingly small world, those foreign labor standards are coming back to affect our domestic workers.

No comments: