Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Microsoft

My view of the Microsoft article is that the company handled the situation in the best way possible given the circumstances. Had the Microsoft representatives who attended the church not been threatened by the pastor, I believe they would have stood their ground, as did the many other prestigious companies listed in this article and who supported this legislation on a national level.

I think there is something wrong (I'm not certain if I would say ethically, but certainly morally) when a pastor threatens a major corporation into changing its views on a political subject, simply because his or her views of gay people are different than for heterosexuals. Many of us believe in freedom of religion, but does it give us the right to condemn other people because they do not believe in or practice their faith in the same way as I do?

From a moral perspective, I have never fully understood gay or lesbianism, therefore I do not have the power nor desire to condone or condemn it. Whether or not individuals believe it to be a form of discrimination, I would have to challenge that.

People who are regularly discriminated against, on the basis of age, race, gender, physical or mental condition, etc, normally don't have a choice in who they are and how they became who they are. However, I would argue that gay and lesbian individuals have a choice. So I have never considered the behavior of individuals who fit into this category as people who should be considered under the laws of discrimination.

I believe that if I were the head of a company like Microsoft, I would also be somewhat apprehensive and not fully embracing this legislation as quickly as I would on the national level , after all, it is much easier to embrace something when you are not a member of every community (nationally), it's a different story when the place is your headquarters. I think Microsoft demonstrated excellent judgement when it sided more for the care and concern of its employees. Milton Friedman would be so proud.

After all, Microsoft has demonstrated that it is fully aware of the role of one of its major stakeholders. For without the employees, Microsoft would not be Microsoft and other stakeholders and shareholders wouldn't exist.

However, the members of Microsoft are always free to choose a new church.

No comments: