Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Moral or Ethical

A friend of mine posed an interesting question to me once. She asked me what my values were. I immediately launched into a self righteous monologue of how I'm honest, sincere and conscientious. What followed was if I was consistently all of those things. It turns out that I have been dishonest, have been insincere in my efforts and have strayed away from guidelines at some point or the other in my life! As much as I did not enjoy the idea it turned out that I had no values because I did not consistently display any of the value traits I described. In an attempt to save face I explained that I have never killed or cheated and so those could be my values.

But are these the only values I possess? What about business ethics? The more I engage in class discussions and listen to diverse opinions on the 'ethics' of issues, the more I am convinced that the importance of ethics seems lost. It seems to me that the fine lines of ethical behavior are too fine and sometimes blurred in the business world. Businesses today are largely considering the political and moral repercussions of their business decisions but the ethical questions are lost. Is this because ethical behavior is so personal that it goes without recognition?

No comments: