Wednesday, March 19, 2008

U.S.A the country of freedom???

What does freedom mean? I agree with Cambridge dictionary definition. (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=31057&dict=CALD)
To me, it doesn’t see that the companies in this country (and probably in many others) are not free to decide what they want to do with their money. My opinion is that companies should be able to decide who they want to hire or fire, considering the diversity or not. Sometimes is not important to a company to have diversity, or even if it is, they should be able to choose to have it or not.
People and companies do not have to treat others nicely or kindly, as soon as they treat them with respect. To me, you don’t have freedom if you are not able to choose who you want to work/talk with.
People and companies can not pay for the past. If you don’t want to hire/like people from different color, religion, nationality, physics aspects, age, gender, etc… it doesn’t mean that you don’t respect them. You and a company should be able to have preferences. Is not because you didn’t hire or you didn’t want to talk with someone (in the case of the bank client and the Indian work) that you are being disrespectful and you have to be punished. This options to like or not someone can not be interpreted based on previous (historical) events.
I am going to show some examples to support my view. First: I realized that anybody or any company here wants to talk with/work with/ hire me, BECAUSE I am Brazilian. I understand that this is an option, an opinion, that I would try to show that I am not different or minor because of my nationality, but I have to accept their freedom to have this opinion and not complain or try to change it in the justice forcing them to like or hire me.
Second, if you have your own company, why you can’t you choose who to hire? You don’t need to hire the best employees to your company (you should, but you don’t need to). So you have a believe, an opinion, why can’t you apply to your business? Why can’t you be free to have in your company just people like you or with the same believes or/and characteristics?
To me, being respectful does not mean to be friendly. Accept the others, does not imply that you have to work or talk with them.
What I am saying and supporting here is not that people should always look for diversities and dislike them, but they should have the freedom to choose their preferences without being punished because of that. Therefore, I am in doubt if the companies here feel this freedom.

1 comment:

Grace Chu said...

The things you mentioned are more like power rather than freedom.